Bio-Hazard: Safety first!
Bio-Hazard cleanup requires careful planning.
What is a Bio-Hazard? Well the dictionary definition is "a biological substance that's dangerous to people or the environment."
It often comes to our attention as a result of a serious injury or death. Cleaning up a Bio-Hazard has many aspects to it. Our primary concern is to make sure our employees and others in the vicinity do not become injured as a result of working in that environment. Blood and any associated blood borne pathogens need to be properly handled due to their inherent risk to humans.
Proper personal protective equipment is just the start. Anyone working with bio-hazards needs proper training in procedures, respirator protection, health and safety and hazard communications. Items such as needles, broken glass or other sharp objects need to be handled very carefully and preferably with a tool that limits our need to contact it.
Materials that have come in direct contact with blood need to be properly disposed with a licensed waste hauler. This may include PPE, clothing, items used to actually do the cleanup such as paper products and rags, and any cloth material that needed to be removed from the affected site such as cushions, carpeting, bedding, etc.
This work is not particularly difficult, but being able to do the work properly takes a lot of training, planning, careful following of procedures.
What to do and not to do after a fire?
Fire affects everything.
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house? It might be best to have a professional evaluate first.
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform. Cleaning up after a fire loss can be very specialized work
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
When your home and belongings have been damaged due to fire and smoke, call the experienced and knowledgeable staff at SERVPRO of Elgin, 847.697.8500, to make it "Like it never even happened."
Saving hard wood floors when wet
Drying floors due to water damage with specialty vacuum drying panels and desiccant technology!
In today's modern home, it is not uncommon to have beautiful hardwood floors in many areas of the home; especially kitchens. When these floors get wet and are not dried properly, it is a major expense to remove and replace them. This work is also a major disruption to the family.
SERVPRO of Elgin employs the latest technology that allows them to save many floors that would otherwise might be torn out. The "Trick" is to get our specially trained crews out to the job site quickly.
By using special vacuum drying panels, desiccant drying tools and with professional daily monitoring, we can ensure that the flooring has been dried properly. If addressed quickly, some floors will not even require refinishing!
Call 847.697.8500 to reach the hardwood floor drying specialists at SERVPRO of Elgin! Only SERVPRO can make it "Like it never even happened."
Cleaning homeowner content after a fire
How many different content items can you see in this single photo?
When SERVPRO of Elgin is asked to respond to a house fire, we work very hard to ensure the homeowner fully understands the entire process. We can help explain our processes and let them know how long it will take to get their house cleaned and rebuilt and get them settled back to normal. Calling us at 847.697.8500 brings you the knowledge and caring of a professional team of restoration experts.
But what about your content? Content is basically everything in your house that would fall out if you were able to pick up your house and turn it upside down. Clothing, furniture, appliances, electronics, shoes, bedding, toys, etc.
SERVPRO of Elgin is a Contents restoration Specialist with years of experience in properly restoring your families' content. We thoroughly inspect each item to determine the damage. If it is determined to be salvageable, we will identify the type of cleaning and deodorization method to utilize. Once each item is restored, we ask the homeowner to come to our state of the art warehouse and inspect their content themselves. We leave nothing to chance!!
SERVPRO of Elgin should be your "go-to" company for all of your fire and smoke cleanup needs! Call us at 847.697.8500 to learn more about what we can do for you!!
Elgin Residents: We specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
Flooded basement due to heavy storms and a broken sump pump!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Elgin basement could flood, including:
- Non-working sump pump
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 847.697.8500
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of thousands of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 847.697.8500
Elgin Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 847-697-8500
When Storms or Floods hit Elgin/NW Kane County, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Elgin/NW Kane County!
SERVPRO ofElgin/NW Kane County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained to use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A quick response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the overall restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Elgin/NW Kane County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 847-697-8500
For Immediate Service in Elgin/NW Kane County, Call SERVPRO
Residents: We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Elgin/NW Kane County provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Elgin and northwest Kane County. We will respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs while minimizing the interruption to your home or business.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 847-697-8500
Whether your Elgin/NW Kane County home needs emergency flood damage or your carpet cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Elgin/NW Kane County commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: http://www.SERVPROelginnorthwestkanecounty.com/commercial-restoration-cleaning
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Restoring Your Elgin/NW Kane County Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
This business suffered a water loss due to a large rainstorm that hit the area. We were able to limit down time to the staff by working efficiently.
Flooding and water damage events at Elgin/NW Kane County commercial properties can be complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility to its pre-loss state.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Elgin/NW Kane County
SERVPRO of Elgin/NW Kane County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water or fire damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Elgin/NW Kane County Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke damage from fire caused by an unattended cigarette.
Smoke and soot is extremely invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Elgin/NW Kane County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures are then based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 847-697-8500