Keeping your home safe when you have lots of snow
Keep your furnace vents clear of snow.
Snow can be very pretty. Lots of snow in your yard invites the kids to come outside and build snowmen, snow forts and sled. Although snow can be fun, it can also cause problems; serious problems.
Many homes with high efficiency furnaces have air intake and exhaust vents that allow the furnace to run properly. These can usually be found on the back of your house. They are usually made out of white PVC plastic.
If the snow in your yard starts piling up, put on your boots and do a quick check to ensure that those vents are not blocked by the snow. Blocked vents can cause carbon monoxide to enter into the house, and that is not healthy.
SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County, 847.697.8500. We are always here to help.
For Immediate Service in Elgin/NW Kane County, Call SERVPRO
Residents: We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Elgin/NW Kane County provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Elgin and northwest Kane County. We will respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs while minimizing the interruption to your home or business.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 847-697-8500
Whether your Elgin/NW Kane County home needs emergency flood damage or your carpet cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Elgin/NW Kane County commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: http://www.SERVPROelginnorthwestkanecounty.com/commercial-restoration-cleaning
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Tune Up Your Furnace Before the Cold Comes
If you have any questions, please give SERVPRO of Elgin a call at 847-697-8500. We are here to help!
Stay warm this winter with a well-running, efficient heating system.
When the temperature dips, you call on your furnace to keep your home cozy and warm. The last thing you want is to wake to shivers in the middle of the night.
Before the heating season begins, get your furnace checked out to make sure it’s ready to give you uninterrupted winter comfort. An added benefit is that a well-running furnace uses less fuel, saving you money on heating costs.
A thorough furnace check-up is best left to a qualified technician. For most homes, a furnace check-up consists of the following steps:
- Inspect the thermostat for proper operation and calibration.
- Change or clean the air filter.
- Check all electrical components and controls.
- Oil motors as needed.
- Inspect the heat exchanger for possible cracks, which could allow carbon monoxide into your home.
- Check the air flow.
- Check the air/fuel mixture.
- Make certain that the flues and chimneys are properly connected, in good condition and not blocked.
There are also steps you can take to get the most out of your furnace.
- Change the air filters regularly.
- Be sure the thermostat is set in heating mode.
- Make sure your registers and vents are open and free of obstructions.
For an added measure of safety, have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed throughout your home.