Fall storms can be particularly problematic
Everyone enjoys the spring and blooming flower in Elgin, but what people do not like is the variety of harsh weather conditions that come during this season. Your home takes a beating during storms, so it is very important for you to maintain and protect them. Luckily, there are plenty of preventative measures homeowners can take to help reduce damage if and when a severe storm hits. Consider the following tips to keep your home safe this season:
- Trim and maintain your trees. They are a risk to possibly damage your home’s exterior or break a window. When heavy rain hits Kane County, it also gives the possibility for trees to be uprooted from the ground as well.
- Secure your fence. Ensure your fences are fully secured to prevent them being lifted from the ground.
- Secure furniture. Patio furniture is a lovely touch for your backyard. Unfortunately, heavy winds can cause items like chairs and toys to be moved. This poses a possible risk to damage either your furniture or your home’s exterior. You can prevent this by anchoring furniture or moving items inside.
- Check your gutters. Gutters need to remain clear at all times. Clear gutters allow water to flow away from your home. If they are not maintained, it can cause water to overflow and create leaks. There is also a risk for your roof to collapse from the built-up pressure. Set a couple of hours aside to clean gutters and make sure they are properly working.
- Protect your shingles. Make sure your shingles are secure to endure storms in Elgin. If they ever become loose, you can repair each shingle with either roof tar or sealant spray.
- Stock a basic emergency kit. Intense storms in the Kane County area can leave you without electric, water, gas, or sewage for a few hours or even days. Stock your family’s emergency kit without enough food, water, and supplies to carry everyone through at least three days. A basic emergency kit can include: Water, food, and flashlight.
- Know your policy. It’s critical to read and understand your insurance policy. Be sure to frequently examine your property to ensure there are no physical or liability hazards.
If your home has been damaged by a storm, SERVPRO of Elgin can take of any needs you and your family have after a disaster. Don’t feel alone during this stressful time. We can take the stress out of fixing any water or fire damage from storms. We are a 24-hour service and are “Here to Help” whenever you need us. For services and any questions, call: (847)-697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin here.