Ice damage and water damage to your Elgin home
In the movies, snow covered roofs and icicles paint the perfect picture for a winter scenery. It may look pretty, but unfortunately, the idealistic icicle look can be a sign of ice damming. An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, and insulation.
Ice damming is caused by the snow being exposed to inconsistent surface temperatures on your Elgin home’s roof. The primary source of heat is from the inside of your home. Did you know heat from the house travels to the roof surface in three different ways?
- Conduction is heat energy traveling through a solid
- Convection is the heat transfer that rises from the heated area.
- Radiation is also a heat transfer by electromagnetic waves
If you spot an ice dam on your Elgin home, one common way to remove it is by using calcium chloride ice melt. Follow these simple steps to remove the dams and prevent further damage:
- Using a roof rake, remove snow 3-4 feet from the edge of your roof and being careful not to damage the roof covering
- Use a nylon stocking to fill with the calcium chloride ice melt
- Safely place and position the calcium chloride-filled nylon stocking vertically across the ice dam so that it can melt a channel through the ice
Sometimes accidents still happen, and you have experienced a water loss from your Elgin home’s ice dam. While many believe a water damage from an ice dam can easily get resolved in your Elgin home, often conventional drying methods are not enough.
From the moment your accident occurs, your property, materials, and contents are exposed to water and begin to absorb the moisture. The best solution for your home’s water loss is to hire professional restoration specialists like our team. It is easy for your situation to get out of hand and endure further damage. This is why one of the advantages to SERVPRO of Elgin is that we are a 24-hour emergency service. Our team is ready to service your water damage needs at any time. To learn more about our franchise or schedule a service, call our office (847) 697 8500.
Learn more about Elgin.