Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Is that mold inside my walls?!?
Interior mold within the walls
One of the problems with water damage is that if it is not corrected quickly and properly, secondary damage can occur. Secondary damage is when items that are within the affected area of a water damage, but they are not in direct contact with the water. This can occur when the humidity in the area is not reduced to an appropriate level. High humidity in a room can cause otherwise dry content to absorb that moisture (humidity) and can cause mold.
As can be seen in the picture, this drywall was within a water damage environment for quite a while. There was no exterior visible mold that could be seen. Based on the overall conditions within the affected area, we knew that mold was likely and we took steps to investigate.
SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County making it "Like it never even happened."
Are you kidding me?!?
Mold in the interior of your car
Having a water damage in your house and the possibility of mold due to that is an upsetting thought. What about the possibility of mold within our vehicles?
The cars that are built and sold today are quality checked and inspected and interior problems are rare.
However, how would you know if you had a problem? Well frankly, it is tough to determine. Our local climate is very wet in spring, we can have heavy rains in summer and fall, and winters are cold and we carry snow and ice into our cars from our shoes and boots.
The same rules apply to cars as with our homes, "you don't have a mold problem, you have a moisture problem."
Be aware of your cars environment. Do a quick inspection, especially after heavy rains. Check for signs of wetness on carpeting, your dash, seats or headliner. Listen for signs of water accumulation in the duct work, (usually noticeable when you turn and you hear sloshing.) Finally, do you smell a musty odor in the car.
What to do and not do after a fire
It might be best to wait for the professionals at SERVPRO!
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house? It might be best to have a professional evaluate first.
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform. Cleaning up after a fire loss can be very specialized work
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
When your home and belongings have been damaged due to fire and smoke, call the experienced and knowledgeable staff at SERVPRO of Elgin, 847.697.8500, to make it "Like it never even happened."
What to do if you think you have mold?
Mold hidden behind base trim and door casing
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 847-697-8500
SERVPRO's Commercial ERP program
SERVPRO helping you to keep the doors open
Did you know that over 50% of businesses that have a major event such as a severe water damage or fire, never recover?! The loss of key customers due to delays in getting your operation back up and running could be the difference between success and never opening your doors again.
It is a scary thought.
Help your company by having SERVPRO schedule an ERP inspection. Our Emergency Ready Program will help facility managers prepare for the unthinkable. We start by identifying important facility information, such as water shut offs, and critical areas of importance within the building. By doing this we can allow our emergency restoration professionals to concentrate their efforts on the areas that will provide you the flexibility to stay in operation and maintaining your important clients needs until the entire cleanup is completed.
A little planning today can provide a lot of reassurance in the future.
Contact SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County at 847.697.8500 to schedule an inspection!
SERVPRO: Doing the difficult jobs and doing them right!
Be sure to have your SERVPRO professionals handle these jobs!
What is a Bio-Hazard? Well the dictionary definition is "a biological substance that's dangerous to people or the environment."
It often comes to our attention as a result of a serious injury or death. Cleaning up a Bio-Hazard has many aspects to it. Our primary concern is to make sure our employees and others in the vicinity do not become injured as a result of working in that environment. Blood and any associated blood borne pathogens need to be properly handled due to their inherent risk to humans.
Proper personal protective equipment is just the start. Anyone working with bio-hazards needs proper training in procedures, respirator protection, health and safety and hazard communications. Items such as needles, broken glass or other sharp objects need to be handled very carefully and preferably with a tool that limits our need to contact it.
Materials that have come in direct contact with blood need to be properly disposed with a licensed waste hauler. This may include PPE, clothing, items used to do the cleanup such as paper products and rags, and any cloth material that needed to be removed from the affected site such as cushions, carpeting, bedding, etc.
This work is not particularly difficult but being able to do the work properly takes a lot of training, planning, careful following of procedures.