Celebrating the First Responders of Elgin/Northwest Kane County
SERVPRO® of Elgin is surrounded by many First Responders who consistently go above and beyond the call of duty to protect our loved ones. Now is our chance to say thank you to the brave men and women in the community. We are honoring their service and sacrifice of America’s First Responders by giving them the chance to win a trip to the SERVPRO® First Responder Bowl.
This is an all-expense paid trip which includes two game tickets, flight tickets, lodging, and transportation. This year the SERVPRO® First Responder Bowl is on Saturday, December 26th. For the second year in a row, the game will be played at SMU’s Gerald J. Ford Stadium in Dallas, Texas. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. CT and the matchup will air on ESPN.
First Responders to be honored include: police officers, firefighters, EMS workers, correctional officers, search and rescue, dispatchers, security guards, federal agents, border patrol agents, and emergency trained military personnel. We are looking for First Responders who have:
- Saved a life in their career
- Retired after serving many years
- Injured and back at work
- Trained First Responders
- Fallen in the line of duty
- Accomplished something remarkable
SERVPRO® of Elgin wants to give a special thanks to everyone in our Elgin/Northwest Kane County for everything they do. This includes our Police Departments: Elgin, South Elgin, Kane County Sherriff’s, Pingree Grove, and Hampshire. This also includes our Fire Departments: Elgin, Bartlett, Hoffman Estates, Hampshire, and Pingree Grove.
We are proud to be a part of this event and recognize all the incredible First Responders in the Elgin/Northwest Kane County. We are grateful for the courageous individuals who put their lives on the frontlines every day in our community.
Close Before You Doze: Life Saving Habit For Your Elgin Home
Close Before You Doze is a public fire safety campaign promoted by The UL Firefighter Safety Research. It has been proven during a fire, a closed door can make the difference between 100 degrees and 1,000 degrees. This significant difference has promoted the habit of sleeping with doors closed. It can help add critical time to your escape if a fire were to happen.
This is especially important with the “evolving fire environment”, caused by the increase use of synthetics in modern homes. Forty years ago, the average time needed to escape a burning home was seventeen minutes. Today, the evolving fire environment has caused it to drop to only three minutes. The change in construction materials, furnishings and open layouts, has caused drastic reduction time. These factors allow the fire to spread and become more toxic much quicker.
It is common for people to want to leave the door open whether they have kids or do not think a door can make a significant difference. In fact, only 29% of people always sleep with their door closed. Therefore, it is very important for families to understand the lifesaving difference a closed door will make. A fire needs heat, fuel, and oxygen to grow. So, when a door is closed, it limits the fire’s resources to spread. Furthermore, when a door is closed, not as much carbon monoxide will enter the room. This will keep the oxygen at a breathable level for additional time. The reduction of toxic smoke, improved oxygen levels, and decreased room temperatures will give you more time to escape the fire just by simply closing your door.
Closing the door when you go to sleep is one thing, but if there is an actual fire, it is critical to know the next steps of determining if the door is safe to open. First, you should look for smoke coming through the cracks in the door. If there is smoke, do not open the door. Next, gently touch the door to see if it is hot. If it is hot, do not open the door. Checking the door should be part of your escape plan. Make sure your family has established and rehearsed a plan to exit a burning fire.
Make an Escape Plan For Your Elgin Home
In the past 40 years, escaping from a fire has dropped from 17 minutes to less than 3 minutes due to the evolution of materials in modern homes. This makes it vital to create and practice an emergency escape plan. Home fires are the single most common disaster across the nation, but only 26% of Americans have developed an escape plan for a fire.
When developing your plan, here are a few suggestions:
- Draw a map of each level in your home. Locate all the doors, windows, and identify two ways to exit each room.
- Consider a collapsible escape ladder for your second and third floors. You should only buy them from a recognized testing laboratory.
- Choose an outside meeting place. It should be in front of your home, but also a safe distance away from the fire.
- Some examples include: Neighbor’s house, light post, mailbox, or stop sign.
- If your doors or windows have security bars, make sure the bars have emergency release devices inside so they can be opened immediately.
- Emergency release devices do not compromise your security
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you cannot help them.
Pets are a part of your family too. Half of a million pets are affected by home fires each year. Here are a few tips to creating an escape plan for your animal(s):
- Pets will be afraid. Put your dog on a leash and keep your cat in a carrier. This will secure them with you and prevent them from fleeing.
- Identify your pet’s favorite hiding place ahead of time, as this is where they will most likely be hiding if a fire starts.
- Post “pet rescue stickers” to a front window, in an easy-to-spot location. The decal includes number of pets in your home, so rescuers know who to look for when entering.
When you are not home, contain them near an exit. It will provide a better chance of firefighters finding your animal.
Don’t Fall for These Autumn Fire Risks
The leaves are falling, the temperature is dropping, and the holiday season is fast approaching. With Thanksgiving around the corner and Christmas right behind it, there is no shortage of holiday spirit around this time of year. Everyone loves displaying their cornucopia, dried cornstalks and scented candles. These are all classic hallmarks of the fall holidays, but they can also be very dangerous. Decorations are the cause of 800 reported fires each year. Here are a few tips to keep your decorations from going up in flames:
- Use battery powered lights instead of candles
- Do not leave candles unattended or lit while you sleep
- Keep flammable décor like dried flowers, cornstalk, and crepe paper away from open flames
- Verify that all holiday lights and extension cords have been tested by an organization such as Factory Mutual or Underwriters Laboratory
Fall is also filled with many activities. From apple picking to corn mazes, fall has some of the most fun activities, but some of them can also pose a fire risk. For examples, bonfires are perfect for roasting marshmallows or gathering around on a chilly night, but there needs to be cautionary steps when handling them:
- Set your bonfire up at least 25 feet away from structures
- Never use gasoline, kerosene, or any other flammable liquid to start a fire
- Use a match or lighter to ignite tinder
- Keep the fire small and controlled. Never leave it unattended
- Keep a hose, bucket of water, or sand nearby to extinguish the fire once you’re finished
- Read more about Elgin’s rules on open fires here
Beat the Freeze this Winter in Elgin, IL
When temperatures plummet, the risk of your pipes freezing and bursting skyrockets. This happens because water has a unique property where it expands as it freezes. The expansion puts tremendous amount of pressure on whatever is containing it. During the frigid winter months, pipe bursts are the most common cause of property damage. The pipes most at risk are those in unheated interior spaces such as basements, attics, and garages. But even the pipes in your cabinets or exterior walls are still at risk. According to Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety, homeowners can see costs surpassing $5,000 in water damage.
Once the weather starts to get colder, you should take measures to keep your pipes warm. Precautionary steps should be taken when the temperature hit around 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Those steps include: closing garage doors, opening cabinets under your sink, setting consistent thermostat temperatures, frequently running faucets, and adding insulation to high risk areas.
Unfortunately, if you turn on your faucet and only a trickle comes out, you may well have a frozen pipe. You can try thawing your pipe by turning on the water. As you heat the frozen pipe and the ice plug begins to melt, you want the water to be able to flow through. You can also try to apply heat to the section of the pipe. This includes using an electric heating pad, hair dryer, or space heater. When attempting to thaw your pipes, be careful because if the pipe already burst, the water will come flowing out and flood your home.
If flood water is not handled in a timely manner, it can jeopardize your safety and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Call SERVPRO of Elgin/Northwest Kane County and let our trained professionals handle the situation to make it feel “Like it never even happened.” Whether your home has a flood, or you have a general question, we are here to help: (847) 697.8500.
Commercial Emergency Ready Program
SERVPRO helping to keep your Sycamore business open!
Did you know that over 50% of businesses that have a major event such as a severe water damage or fire, never recover? The loss of key customers due to delays in getting your operation back up and running could be the difference between success and never opening your doors again.
It is a scary thought.
Help your Sycamore business by having SERVPRO schedule an ERP inspection. Our Emergency Ready Program will help facility managers prepare for the unthinkable. Emergencies are never scheduled and rarely occur when people are in the building. An ERP will identify important facility information, such as water, gas and electrical shut offs and critical areas of importance within the building. An ERP can help minimize damage to your facility as most employees can be made aware of the shut off locations. In addition, a completed ERP aids emergency restoration professionals to concentrate their efforts on the areas that will provide you the flexibility to continue your Sycamore operations with the ability to meet the needs of your clients while the remediation is completed.
Lastly, a web based app is available to provide your business management team the ability to have important information located in one click on your phone! A little planning today can provide a lot of reassurance in the future.
Contact SERVPRO of DeKalb County 815.758.3900 to schedule an inspection!
The Three C’s to Clean
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solution, and remediation processes over decades. Expertise born out of cleaning up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects the unique experience and capabilities of America’s #1 cleanup and restoration brand. The program is grounded with our unique 3C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certified. But what does that mean? Let’s break down the “Three C’s to Clean”:
Consult: A tailored cleaning program to meet your needs
Not all Elgin businesses are the same, which is why we will assign you a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a custom cleaning program to meet your specific needs. SERVPRO has worked in a wide variety of industries with businesses ranging from startups to global, multinational organizations. That’s why we know to start such a critical cleaning process with a consultation. Your specific program will be developed based on a range of factors: business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touch points, foot traffic, and congestion points. As a result, you’ll know that Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is not just an industry leading standard in clean, you’ll know that the clean you receive is customized to your business needs.
Clean: Proactive & COVID-19 emergency response cleaning program
Based on the specific needs of your business, your location will undergo a thorough, expert deep clean rooted in the pillars of People, Process, and Product.
- People: SERVPRO of Elgin professionals are uniquely prepared during this unprecedented time to clean and disinfect your home or business according to the protocols set forth by the CDC. We have years of experience with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform.
- Process: SERVPRO of Elgin professionals are trained to perform proactive or emergency response cleanups that involves facility or structure cleaning and disinfection. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup processes, and disposal of biohazard materials. In the event of a confirmed or suspected COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24-hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Product: Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned has more than 100 exclusive cleaning products to meet any needs including our proprietary cleaning agent, SERVPROXIDE, which is a hospital grade disinfectant that carries the EPA lowest toxicity category and is a National Sanitation Foundation certified for direct food content surface use. All of our products carry the EPA’s registered pathogens claims and meet the standard set by the CDC.
Certify: A commitment to clean for your employees and consumers
At SERVPRO of Elgin, we are going to extend our credibility as a premier biohazard cleaning company in the country to your business. We are here to give assurance to your employees and customers that only SERVPRO can deliver. Once your Elgin business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to our propriety signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates you’ve selected the highest standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
To learn more about our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program, call our office today! We are available 24-hours a day to answer your question or set up your consultation. (847) 697-8500.
More about Elgin
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned: The Results Are In!
SERVPRO has conducted a recent study, COVID-19 Cleaning: A Reopening Study, to help assess the attitudes and comfort levels of 1,000 consumers about patronizing businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe you will find this data useful as it helps highlight the needs for our new Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Program. Check out of findings below:
- 71% expect businesses to have higher cleanliness standards than respondents do in their own home
- 76% say the way a business addresses cleanliness during COVID-19 is a good indictor of how well that business is run in general
- 73% say they are going to be more attuned to cleanliness once COVID is over
- 68% are constantly thinking about avoiding COVID exposure when they are out in public
- 64% are more likely to choose to shop at a store that has a decal stating the store has been professionally cleaned
- 59% are worried about COVID exposure from touching surfaces that have not been sufficiently cleaned
You can further read our study, COVID-19 Cleaning: A Reopening Study, by clicking here.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program that goes beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning that helps ensure the cleanliness of the restaurants, businesses, and public spaces in the communities we all call home. With over 50 years of expertise, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills - always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
Whether you have an office space, warehouse facility, or restaurant, SERVPRO of Elgin is ready to address your specific needs and help get your Elgin business running again. It is our duty to make Elgin business owners and the community feel at ease and safe as the public reopens their doors. Call SERVPRO of Elgin today at (847) 697-8500 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
Learn more about Elgin
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned - The Program Your Elgin Business Needs
Illinois has successfully reached Phase Three, which means we are starting to see businesses reopen their doors and the community is moving towards a new kind of normal. Research indicates 89% of consumers are concerned to go back to brick and mortar stores. This makes staying safe a top concern for visitors, customers, and employees. The global pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, so SERVPRO of Elgin has launched the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program with the goal to provide businesses a safe and clean environment.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to Elgin businesses and commercial spaces to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your staff, and customers can rest assured you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard.
With the stakes being this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify:
- Consult- Every Elgin business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, number of touchpoints, foot traffic, and congestion points.
- Clean- Based on your specific Elgin business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our SERVPRO of Elgin employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of equipment, tools, and supplies, and dispose hazardous materials. We also guarantee a cleaning within 24-hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible
- Certify- Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communications that you’ve selected a higher standard of cleaning. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location has been cleaned to a higher standard
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation! We’re Here to Help as we fight to bring daily life back to normal in the Elgin community. Please feel free to reach out to our Elgin office (847) 697-8500 for question or request a consultation.
Learn about Elgin
Be Proactive, Not Reactive
For an Elgin business owner, a worst-case disaster scenario involving fire or water damage can seem unthinkable until it suddenly becomes reality. In the aftermath of a disaster, a quick response time by a disaster recovery company such as SERVPRO of Elgin can help minimize property damage.
Business owners need to have a quick and convenient emergency disaster plan that connects them with vendors, necessary contacts, and pertinent information when disaster strikes. The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) is a respected industry tool during a disaster event. An ERP is so valuable, that in the midst of the confusion and panic that often surround a disaster, an owner or manager can be provided a sense of calm and clarity in reaching out for expert help.
When building an emergency plan, there are four keys to remember:
- Identify your facility’s greatest threats in order to assess the overall severity of the event. During recovery mode, what are your greatest threats? Is it floods, fires, or tornadoes? Look at your location. Do you have a location in a “tornado alley” or subject to deep freezing temperatures? Try to think outside the box without becoming a doomsday prepper!
- Document all vital information and establish clear communication activities. An ERP needs to contain critical property information that can help speed up response time after a disaster occurs. Consider including any documented prior loss history, identify and label utility shut off valves, and prioritize your key contacts. Prior loss history can provide first responders and restoration vendors with historical information on your facility’s condition. Proper utility identification will allow for quicker response time for emergency shut off, requests and key contact information is vital to starting the recovery process, allowing you to quickly contact key personnel and answer priority questions.
- Practice! There is no textbook event, so expect the unexpected with your Elgin business. You should conduct practice sessions to make sure everyone is clear on the process. Always have clear evacuation routes in your ERP and set distribution chain for your disaster recovery plan amongst key contacts and various location.
- Keep it updated and have all necessary information communicated with your insurance company and emergency restoration vendors. The best way for the recovery to begin is remaining proactive by always keeping your ERP updated. Your SERVPRO of Elgin representative can help keep your ERP up to date. People will come and go, changes will be made to the facility, and utilities change. This should be a dynamic document that changes as your business does. If you do not keep it updated, you will be several steps behind when disaster strike.
With SERVPRO’s ERP, you will be ready for whatever life hands you and your Elgin business. And we are ready to create an ERP for your business at no cost to you! We are the restoration professionals and have earned the trust of many property owners to make it seem “Like it never even happened.” To schedule your FREE ERP or have any questions, call our office: (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin.