We are Cleaning Experts in Elgin
SERVPRO of Elgin is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your Elgin home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your Elgin home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Elgin, 847-697-8500
Learn more about Elgin.
Stop the Spread of Germs
Flu season is in full swing here in Elgin and the spread of germs is on everyone’s mind. During this time, it is important to do our part to help stop the spread of germs. One of the first steps you can take is to keep up with the latest information and news from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They have emphasized the importance of keeping your surroundings clean and safe which include environments like the workplace, schools, commercial establishments, and homes. Each environment has proactive actions you can take to prevent the spread of germs in your Elgin Community.
Workplace & school safety
- Practice good hygiene. In the workplace, avoid handshakes or use other methods of greeting. You should be keeping your space clean by disinfecting surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, desks, and hand railings.
- Be careful with meetings and travel. If you have the opportunity, use videoconferencing instead of face-to-face meetings. If this is not possible, try to hold your meeting in an open, well-ventilated space. In addition, assess the risk of business travel. Make sure you know how to best prepare for a safe experience at the airport.
- Handle food carefully. This means to limit food sharing and always wash your hands before consuming food. If your workplace has a cafeteria, ensure staff practice strict hygiene
- Stay at home if you are feeling sick
- All Elgin households should encourage everyone to wash their hands upon entering the home and avoid touching their face
- Disinfect surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, and handrails
- It is suggested for households with sick family members to give them their own room if possible
- Practice good hygiene. To avoid spreading germs in Kane County, it is recommended to use other methods of greeting people rather than a handshake. At business or commercial establishments, promote tap and pay to limit handling of cash
- Avoid crowds. Being in the presence of crowds increases your chances of catching something. To avoid crowds, use online transactions where possible. If you are someone managing these establishment, consider limiting attendance at larger gatherings
- Be cautious when using public transportation. Taxis, buses, and ride shares are all very common uses of transportation and sometimes it’s hard to avoid using them when it’s your main source of getting from point A to B. Always keep hand sanitizer handy with you to use after you’ve arrived at your destination. It is also recommended to keep windows down if possible to increase ventilation
SERVPRO of Elgin is “Here to Help” to stop the spread of germs in these environments by providing our proactive cleaning services. As the #1 choice for cleanup and restoration, we have the CDC and EPA approved resources to help you immediately. Call us today to see how we can help clean your home or business: (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin
Ice Dams and Water Damage Restoration for Your Elgin Home
In the movies, snow covered roofs and icicles paint the perfect picture for a winter scenery. It may look pretty, but unfortunately, the idealistic icicle look can be a sign of ice damming. An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, and insulation.
Ice damming is caused by the snow being exposed to inconsistent surface temperatures on your Elgin home’s roof. The primary source of heat is from the inside of your home. Did you know heat from the house travels to the roof surface in three different ways?
- Conduction is heat energy traveling through a solid
- Convection is the heat transfer that rises from the heated area.
- Radiation is also a heat transfer by electromagnetic waves
If you spot an ice dam on your Elgin home, one common way to remove it is by using calcium chloride ice melt. Follow these simple steps to remove the dams and prevent further damage:
- Using a roof rake, remove snow 3-4 feet from the edge of your roof and being careful not to damage the roof covering
- Use a nylon stocking to fill with the calcium chloride ice melt
- Safely place and position the calcium chloride-filled nylon stocking vertically across the ice dam so that it can melt a channel through the ice
Sometimes accidents still happen, and you have experienced a water loss from your Elgin home’s ice dam. While many believe a water damage from an ice dam can easily get resolved in your Elgin home, often conventional drying methods are not enough.
From the moment your accident occurs, your property, materials, and contents are exposed to water and begin to absorb the moisture. The best solution for your home’s water loss is to hire professional restoration specialists like our team. It is easy for your situation to get out of hand and endure further damage. This is why one of the advantages to SERVPRO of Elgin is that we are a 24-hour emergency service. Our team is ready to service your water damage needs at any time. To learn more about our franchise or schedule a service, call our office (847) 697 8500
Learn more about Elgin.
Cozy Up to Fireplace Safety in Elgin
Fireplaces can add the ambiance of warmth and tranquility to your Elgin home on a chilly Sunday morning. It is important to remember if you don’t take care of your fireplace, your warmth and tranquility, it can quickly turn into a nightmare. And it can all start with the cleanliness of your chimney.
One of the best ways to prevent a disaster is to keep your fireplace clean. According to the National Fire Protection Association, 30% of heating fires are a result of unclean chimneys and equipment. This is due to a substance called creosote. Creosote is a byproduct of wood combustion that consists mainly of tar. Traces of this substance are found in the smoke that rises from open flames. When smoke is rising to the top of your chimney, it will mix with cold air and water to solidify and stick to the chimney liner. Creosote is not something that fixes itself either. It grows in a self-perpetuating cycle since it accumulates when there is lack of ventilation. This is a huge hazard because creosote is extremely flammable and can cause a destructive, deadly house fire.
Creosote forms naturally, so there is no way to completely avoid it while using your fireplace. Small amounts of presence of creosote is not the issues, it’s the buildup of this substance that is problematic. There are three stages of creosote buildup and here is how you can appropriately respond to each stage to get the best cleaning. When you decide it’s time to clean your chimney, ensure you use a trained professional.
- State One- A small amount of creosote is present and has a thin, flaky texture. At this stage, the coating can easily be brushed away by a technician using a specialized brush.
- Stage Two- A medium size amount of creosote is present which consents of more tar and soot. At this stage, it is a little tougher to remove the substance. To remove it, it would be most beneficial to use a rotary loop tool attached to a drill.
- Stage Three- A large amount of creosote is present which is very concentrated. It can feel either sticky and oily or hard and shiny depending if the coating is fresh. At this stage, it may actually be more cost-effective to simply replace the chimney liner than try to clean it.
Although there is no way to completely avoid creosote, you can take simple actions to slow the process of its buildup. Consider the following tips:
- Only use dry, seasoned wood in your chimney. This is wood that has been left to dry for at least 6 months
- Never burn artificial logs because they produce more combustion byproduct than regular wood
- Make sure your fire has an adequate amount of air
- Schedule an annual chimney cleaning and inspection
Unfortunately, sometimes disaster still happen despite taking the steps to prevent an accident. If your Elgin Home has experienced a fire due to creosote buildup, don’t feel you’re in this alone. We are the certified fire restoration experts and know how to bring your home back to preloss conditions. You can count on us to immediately assess the damages and begin the remediation and restoration process. For services or any questions, call our office (847) 697 8500.
Learn more about Elgin
We Are the Certified Experts in The Elgin Area
SERVPRO® of Elgin has been an IICRC certified firm for the past 16 years. For nearly five decades, The Institution of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification stands at the forefront teaching trailblazing knowledge required to tackle complex jobs and return normalcy from chaotic environments. They provide the most comprehensive and advanced technical information in the industry. They allow companies like SERVPRO of Elgin to advance their education and stay ahead of the competition with several IICRC certification options:
- Applied Structural Drying Technician (ASD) is a course designed to teach the effective, efficient, and timely drying of water-damaged structures and contents. It uses comprehensive classroom and hands-on training, in order to facilitate appropriate decision making within a restorative drying environment.
- Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) is a course to teach the art and science of carpet cleaning to professional service providers, as well as others in the related industry. Emphasis is placed the following: practical application, identifying fiber, carpet constructions, style types and finishes, soiling conditions, cleaning science and methodology. This course also covers pre-inspection, basic cleaning chemicals and equipment, and proper cleaning technique.
- Commercial Drying Specialist (CDS) is a course to teach damage inspection and evaluation, workflow management, and process administration. The course also teaches the technical methods of effective and timely drying.
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT) is a course with a concentration on technical procedure for successfully completing the restoration of a fire and smoke damaged environment. Students will learn how to combine technical procedures with practical approach to managing the job site. These concepts will then teach the students how pricing of the job is created.
- Trauma and Crime Scene Technician (TCST) is a course designed to review the process for inspecting and investigating crime and trauma scenes. This may involve blood and other potentially infectious material. The course will focus on the procedures to follow as well as the precautions that must be taken in such an environment.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) is designed to teach restoration personnel that perform remediation work to give them a better concept of water damage, effects, and techniques for drying of structures. This course gives the background to understand the procedures necessary to deal with water losses, sewer backflows, and contamination such as mold.
If your Elgin home or business is faced with a disaster such as a flood or fire, we are the certified experts who have been properly trained to know exactly what to do. Let SERVPRO of Elgin apply quality solutions to any type of damage you are experiencing. We are the 24-hour emergency service and can quickly respond whenever the service is needed. To contact our office for service or any questions call (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin
A Real 5-Star Review for SERVPRO of Elgin
After a pipe leak causes mold growth, any homeowner can easily become stressed out from the mess their Elgin home has endured. This is especially true when personal belonging like pictures, clothes, or valued items can all become at risk to be ruined. Luckily, you won’t need to go through this alone. When you hire SERVPRO of Elgin, you can count on us to save your home. We will ease the stress and let our professionally trained technicians handle the work for you.
When one of our recent customers had mold growth from a pipe leak, they did not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Elgin. From the first inspection to finishing the rebuild work, we were able to handle every step of the progress. Once the job was completed, our customer was delighted with the quality work we provided and shared their experience on social media. We received a 5-star review which wrote:
“I had a major project needing several different contractors to complete the project. SERVPRO handled the job which included providing the different contractors. All those involved with the project were thorough, efficient, and professional. Each contractor answered any questions and addressed any concerns I had. In addition, SERVPRO's customer service is second to none. I highly recommend SERVPRO to complete any restoration and related services both big and small”
We are proud to have such a happy and satisfied customer because we strive to make it feel “Like it never even happened”. Follow us on Facebook for more customer reviews, restorative information, and Elgin community news!
And for any questions or to schedule your water mitigation service, call our office (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin.
SERVPRO of Elgin Saves Children Reading Center
Subzero temperatures can cause a serious risk to both homeowners and business owners in Elgin. Risks can range anywhere to slippery sidewalks, ice damming, and broken heating systems. One of the most common problem people face during the winter is a frozen pipe. Frozen pipes are a big issue because they can lead to a pipe burst. Unfortunately, in January 2019, Gail Borden Public Library experienced what everyone fears during the winter: A pipe burst.
Due to extreme cold, the library was closed to the public for two days, but staff were still checking the building around the clock. Everything seemed quiet during the temporary shut down until a Security Guard was on duty. When the guard was doing a walk-through of the building at 8pm, he was alarmed when he heard the sound of running water inside an outside wall facing the Fox River. He followed the noise and was the confronted by the sight of water literally “shooting out of the wall.”
At midnight, a call to SERVPRO® of Elgin was made and by 1:30am, the owner, George Jackowiec, and the team were on site. They worked relentlessly throughout the night to set up equipment and start extraction. At 5:30am, drying the damaged area began and it was completed in a week. After the area was job, SERVPRO of Elgin cleaned the carpets and furniture to truly make the staff feel “Like it never even happened.”
Like Gail Borden Public Library, your pipes are at higher risk for bursts during the winter. This is because when water freezes, it expands. You can avoid a pipe burst by preventing your pipes from freezing in your Elgin business. Follow these tips to keep your commercial pipes in working order this winter:
- Insulate exterior piping
- Inspect your property on a regular basis
- Keep thermostat to the same temperature
- Know the locations of your shut-off valves in case a pipe was to break. SERVPRO of Elgin can help you plan for a disaster with an Emergency Ready Profile.
SERVPRO of Elgin is a 24-hour emergency service franchise who will always provide you peace of mind and address your water damage needs with quality solutions. Whether it’s 1pm or 1am, you can always count on SERVPRO of Elgin to take care of the job.
Learn more about Elgin.
A Silent Cold Weather Killer in Elgin: Carbon Monoxide
Often called the invisible killer, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, or propane do not burn completely. Every year, more than 400 people in the United States die from accidental non-fire related Carbon Monoxide poisoning. To know these risks are especially important during Elgin’s winter months when your commercial building is using heating equipment more frequently. Common sources of CO around your commercial building include gas space heaters, generators, water heaters, and furnaces.
Did you know any heat producing item can produce Carbon Monoxide? Therefore, installing a detector can be a lifesaving decision for your Elgin commercial building. it is recommended to place it near any high-risk equipment. This location is most ideal because it will serve as an early warning if any CO is leaking into your commercial building. The more accurate a Carbon Monoxide alarm, the greater your chances of appropriately responding to the problem.
The science behind why Carbon Monoxide is so dangerous is explained by American Council on Science and Health. “Carbon Monoxide loves to bind to iron. This also means that it loves to bind to hemoglobin, the iron-based protein that is responsible for distributing oxygen throughout the body. The affinity of CO to hemoglobin is so strong that the gas binds 240x more tightly to than does oxygen”. This means Carbon Monoxide does not just compete with oxygen for free hemoglobin, it displaces oxygen which inhibits your body’s ability to distribute oxygen.
Even if your commercial building has a Carbon Monoxide detector, be aware of Carbon Monoxide Symptoms:
- Chest Pain
Carbon Monoxide poisoning is very serious and can happen in your Elgin business. Fortunately, this is very preventable for you and your employees. In addition to installing detectors throughout your commercial building, consider the following tips for avoiding a dangerous situation:
- If your company stores vehicles in a warehouse, do not run vehicles inside the building. If you need to warmup the vehicle, pull it out of the warehouse or garage first
- Always have proper ventilation throughout the building
- Schedule regular maintenance for your fuel-burning equipment. Make sure it is kept clean and working properly
Learn more about Elgin.
Thank You to Our Elgin Heroes
The Super Bowl this past weekend has us reminiscing on our second annual SERVPRO® First Responder Bowl. It was an amazing experience to watch our nominated First Responder, Brent Manley, be honored during the game for his outstanding service. He was nontimed for his heroic effort while on vacation in Panama City Beach, Florida. During his vacation, he saved four people from drowning in the ocean’s riptides. Two of the swimmers required medical attention and one was transported to the hospital. However, all four people made a complete recovery.
In addition, nearly 30 other outstanding First Responders were recognized at select bowl games across the county on behalf of SERVPRO®. This year’s game was held at SMU’s Gerald J. Ford Stadium in Dallas, Texas. Western Kentucky University and Western Michigan University went head to head for this year’s very exciting game. The intense matchup resulted in a win for Western Kentucky University after it went into overtime. The final score was 23-20.
Although the First Responder Bowl was in Texas, SERVPRO® of Elgin brought the party to our local heroes. To celebrate and honor our First Responders, we brought the tailgate to them. Each tailgate contained Firehouse Sub sandwiches, chips, homemade cookies, and drinks. Our tailgate went out to 9 fire stations in the Elgin and South Elgin area which totaled to 46 First Responders. This experience could not have been possible without the help from Firehouse Subs in South Elgin. Thank you for taking on such a large order for this great cause. And lastly, thank you to all our local First Responders who go above and beyond every day.
Keep up to date with SERVPRO of Elgin’s events, activities, and community involvement by signing up for our newsletter. It is sent out biweekly and containing information exclusive to our SERVPRO of Elgin family. In addition to community news, we provide our readers with restoration information, tips, DIY, and helpful articles. We would love for you to join the SERVPRO of Elgin family. Join the Newsletter here.
Learn more about Elgin
How to Insure your Elgin Business
When a commercial property suffers, the business itself suffers. So, if a disaster, like water damage, happens to your Elgin business, it is necessary to have thorough insurance coverage. It is especially important to talk with your agent as not all insurance policies are made the same. In policies, water damage can also be sourced in so many ways and the coverage will vary based on your current commercial policy. It is advised to add water damage coverage or get additional coverage on top of your standard policy. This is recommended because this allows for greater range of a coverage for types of water damage sources. So, when getting quotes, pay attention to what different companies offer.
There are many insurance companies that can provide coverage for your commercial building. Below are examples of possible commercial flood insurance providers and how to contact them today to get started on your policy:
Finding the right insurance is crucial for your business because the most common causes of water damage can be very expensive. One of the biggest causes for water damage in an Elgin commercial property are pipe bursts so being properly covered can save your business. Being properly coverage is very important for your business because commercial water damage can easily cost thousands of dollars. This makes it important for business owners to know that their policies cover such damage.
The main cause of pipe bursts are due to cold weather. When the temperatures drop, the water in the pipe freezes. This leads to it expanding and then rupturing. In addition to the weather, there are other ways a pipe can break or leak:
- Rusty Pipes- Pipes, like anything else in your Elgin home, only last so long. They will eventually start to wear out or rust over. Too much rusting or wear can make your pipes vulnerable to bursts. It is highly recommended to consistency inspect your pipes and replace the ones that have become weak or rusty. Signs of worn out pipes include discolored water, stains on the wall, and lower water pressure.
- Hard water- Hard water refers to water that contains high content of magnesium and calcium. Although they are not harmful to humans, they can harmful to your pipes. These minerals can cause build up and slow your flow of water. Furthermore, these minerals have been known to corrode the pipes and create holes that allow the water to flow out.
- Poor Installation- Pipe leaks can happen if there is a poorly soldered or fitted connection between the pipes.
If your business ends up suffering from water damage, luckily you will be insured and SERVPRO of Elgin will be able to assist you. We are the water damage professionals and have earned the trust of many property owners to make it seem “Like it never even happened”. To schedule your service, call our office: (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin