A Silent Cold Weather Killer in Elgin: Carbon Monoxide
Often called the invisible killer, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, or propane do not burn completely. Every year, more than 400 people in the United States die from accidental non-fire related Carbon Monoxide poisoning. To know these risks are especially important during Elgin’s winter months when your commercial building is using heating equipment more frequently. Common sources of CO around your commercial building include gas space heaters, generators, water heaters, and furnaces.
Did you know any heat producing item can produce Carbon Monoxide? Therefore, installing a detector can be a lifesaving decision for your Elgin commercial building. it is recommended to place it near any high-risk equipment. This location is most ideal because it will serve as an early warning if any CO is leaking into your commercial building. The more accurate a Carbon Monoxide alarm, the greater your chances of appropriately responding to the problem.
The science behind why Carbon Monoxide is so dangerous is explained by American Council on Science and Health. “Carbon Monoxide loves to bind to iron. This also means that it loves to bind to hemoglobin, the iron-based protein that is responsible for distributing oxygen throughout the body. The affinity of CO to hemoglobin is so strong that the gas binds 240x more tightly to than does oxygen”. This means Carbon Monoxide does not just compete with oxygen for free hemoglobin, it displaces oxygen which inhibits your body’s ability to distribute oxygen.
Even if your commercial building has a Carbon Monoxide detector, be aware of Carbon Monoxide Symptoms:
- Chest Pain
Carbon Monoxide poisoning is very serious and can happen in your Elgin business. Fortunately, this is very preventable for you and your employees. In addition to installing detectors throughout your commercial building, consider the following tips for avoiding a dangerous situation:
- If your company stores vehicles in a warehouse, do not run vehicles inside the building. If you need to warmup the vehicle, pull it out of the warehouse or garage first
- Always have proper ventilation throughout the building
- Schedule regular maintenance for your fuel-burning equipment. Make sure it is kept clean and working properly
Learn more about Elgin
SERVPRO of Elgin Saves Children's Reading Center
Subzero temperatures can cause a serious risk to both homeowners and business owners in Elgin. Risks can range anywhere to slippery sidewalks, ice damming, and broken heating systems. One of the most common problem people face during the winter is a frozen pipe. Frozen pipes are a big issue because they can lead to a pipe burst. Unfortunately, in January 2019, Gail Borden Public Library experienced what everyone fears during the winter: A pipe burst.
Due to extreme cold, the library was closed to the public for two days, but staff were still checking the building around the clock. Everything seemed quiet during the temporary shut down until a Security Guard was on duty. When the guard was doing a walk-through of the building at 8pm, he was alarmed when he heard the sound of running water inside an outside wall facing the Fox River. He followed the noise and was the confronted by the sight of water literally “shooting out of the wall.”
At midnight, a call to SERVPRO® of Elgin was made and by 1:30am, the owner, George Jackowiec, and the team were on site. They worked relentlessly throughout the night to set up equipment and start extraction. At 5:30am, drying the damaged area began and it was completed in a week. After the area was job, SERVPRO of Elgin cleaned the carpets and furniture to truly make the staff feel “Like it never even happened.”
Like Gail Borden Public Library, your pipes are at higher risk for bursts during the winter. This is because when water freezes, it expands. You can avoid a pipe burst by preventing your pipes from freezing in your Elgin business. Follow these tips to keep your commercial pipes in working order this winter:
- Insulate exterior piping
- Inspect your property on a regular basis
- Keep thermostat to the same temperature
- Know the locations of your shut-off valves in case a pipe was to break. SERVPRO of Elgin can help you plan for a disaster with an Emergency Ready Profile.
SERVPRO of Elgin is a 24-hour emergency service franchise who will always provide you peace of mind and address your water damage needs with quality solutions. Whether it’s 1pm or 1am, you can always count on SERVPRO of Elgin to take care of the job.
Learn more about Elgin.
Thank You to Our Elgin Heroes
The Super Bowl has us reminiscing on our third annual SERVPRO® First Responder Bowl. It was an amazing experience to watch our nominated On behalf of SERVPRO, we’re honored to present to the family of Dylan Cunningham the SERVPRO National First Responder Award. Dylan’s selflessness and dedication to serving his community made him a true hero.
In addition, 9 other outstanding First Responders were recognized at select bowl games across the county on behalf of SERVPRO®. This year’s game was held at SMU’s Gerald J. Ford Stadium in Dallas, Texas. Louisiana and UTSA went head to head for this year’s very exciting game. The intense matchup resulted in a win for Louisiana. The final score was 31-24.
Learn more about Elgin.
How to Insure your Elgin Business
When a commercial property suffers, the business itself suffers. So, if a disaster, like water damage, happens to your Elgin business, it is necessary to have thorough insurance coverage. It is especially important to talk with your agent as not all insurance policies are made the same. In policies, water damage can also be sourced in so many ways and the coverage will vary based on your current commercial policy. It is advised to add water damage coverage or get additional coverage on top of your standard policy. This is recommended because this allows for greater range of a coverage for types of water damage sources. So, when getting quotes, pay attention to what different companies offer.
There are many insurance companies that can provide coverage for your commercial building. Below are examples of possible commercial flood insurance providers and how to contact them today to get started on your policy:
Finding the right insurance is crucial for your business because the most common causes of water damage can be very expensive. One of the biggest causes for water damage in an Elgin commercial property are pipe bursts so being properly covered can save your business. Being properly coverage is very important for your business because commercial water damage can easily cost thousands of dollars. This makes it important for business owners to know that their policies cover such damage.
The main cause of pipe bursts are due to cold weather. When the temperatures drop, the water in the pipe freezes. This leads to it expanding and then rupturing. In addition to the weather, there are other ways a pipe can break or leak:
- Rusty Pipes- Pipes, like anything else in your Elgin home, only last so long. They will eventually start to wear out or rust over. Too much rusting or wear can make your pipes vulnerable to bursts. It is highly recommended to consistency inspect your pipes and replace the ones that have become weak or rusty. Signs of worn out pipes include discolored water, stains on the wall, and lower water pressure.
- Hard water- Hard water refers to water that contains high content of magnesium and calcium. Although they are not harmful to humans, they can harmful to your pipes. These minerals can cause build up and slow your flow of water. Furthermore, these minerals have been known to corrode the pipes and create holes that allow the water to flow out.
- Poor Installation- Pipe leaks can happen if there is a poorly soldered or fitted connection between the pipes.
If your business ends up suffering from water damage, luckily you will be insured and SERVPRO of Elgin will be able to assist you. We are the water damage professionals and have earned the trust of many property owners to make it seem “Like it never even happened.” To schedule your service, call our office: (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin
A Real 5-Star Review for SERVPRO of Elgin
After a pipe leak causes mold growth, any homeowner can easily become stressed out from the mess their Elgin home has endured. This is especially true when personal belonging like pictures, clothes, or valued items can all become at risk to be ruined. Luckily, you won’t need to go through this alone. When you hire SERVPRO of Elgin, you can count on us to save your home. We will ease the stress and let our professionally trained technicians handle the work for you.
When one of our recent customers had mold growth from a pipe leak, they did not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Elgin. From the first inspection to finishing the rebuild work, we were able to handle every step of the progress. Once the job was completed, our customer was delighted with the quality work we provided and shared their experience on social media. We received a 5-star review which wrote:
“I had a major project needing several different contractors to complete the project. SERVPRO handled the job which included providing the different contractors. All those involved with the project were thorough, efficient, and professional. Each contractor answered any questions and addressed any concerns I had. In addition, SERVPRO's customer service is second to none. I highly recommend SERVPRO to complete any restoration and related services both big and small”
We are proud to have such a happy and satisfied customer because we strive to make it feel “Like it never even happened.” Follow us on Facebook for more customer reviews, restorative information, and Elgin community news!
And for any questions or to schedule your water mitigation service, call our office (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin.
We are Certified Experts in the Elgin Area
SERVPRO® of Elgin has been an IICRC certified firm for the past 16 years. For nearly five decades, The Institution of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification stands at the forefront teaching trailblazing knowledge required to tackle complex jobs and return normalcy from chaotic environments. They provide the most comprehensive and advanced technical information in the industry. They allow companies like SERVPRO of Elgin to advance their education and stay ahead of the competition with several IICRC certification options:
- Applied Structural Drying Technician (ASD) is a course designed to teach the effective, efficient, and timely drying of water-damaged structures and contents. It uses comprehensive classroom and hands-on training, in order to facilitate appropriate decision making within a restorative drying environment.
- Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) is a course to teach the art and science of carpet cleaning to professional service providers, as well as others in the related industry. Emphasis is placed the following: practical application, identifying fiber, carpet constructions, style types and finishes, soiling conditions, cleaning science and methodology. This course also covers pre-inspection, basic cleaning chemicals and equipment, and proper cleaning technique.
- Commercial Drying Specialist (CDS) is a course to teach damage inspection and evaluation, workflow management, and process administration. The course also teaches the technical methods of effective and timely drying.
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT) is a course with a concentration on technical procedure for successfully completing the restoration of a fire and smoke damaged environment. Students will learn how to combine technical procedures with practical approach to managing the job site. These concepts will then teach the students how pricing of the job is created.
- Trauma and Crime Scene Technician (TCST) is a course designed to review the process for inspecting and investigating crime and trauma scenes. This may involve blood and other potentially infectious material. The course will focus on the procedures to follow as well as the precautions that must be taken in such an environment.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) is designed to teach restoration personnel that perform remediation work to give them a better concept of water damage, effects, and techniques for drying of structures. This course gives the background to understand the procedures necessary to deal with water losses, sewer backflows, and contamination such as mold.
If your Elgin home or business is faced with a disaster such as a flood or fire, we are the certified experts who have been properly trained to know exactly what to do. Let SERVPRO of Elgin apply quality solutions to any type of damage you are experiencing. We are the 24-hour emergency service and can quickly respond whenever the service is needed. To contact our office for service or any questions call (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin
Put a Freeze on Winter Fires in Elgin
Electrical issues are the leading cause of house fires
Did you know there are several hazards that increase the risk for a fire during the Elgin winters? People don’t think their Elgin home could be at risk for fires during the colder months, but there are many hazards that you need to watch out for in the winter. It’s important to be aware of each risk and how to avoid having a winter fire. The top two causes for fires during the winter are electrical and heating. Let’s going into further detail why these factors pose a fire risk and how you can stay fire-free this winter:
Electricity is the leading cause of home fires in the United States. Roughly half of all electrical home fire involve electrical distribution or lighting equipment. The top risks include faulty outlets, light fixtures, extension cords, and wiring. Many of these items do not seem dangerous, but according to the U.S. Fire Administration, 43% of the electrical fires were caused by a malfunction. Consider the following tips to avoid electrical fires and stay safe this winter season:
- Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets where they can get damaged
- Have qualified electricians add more receptacle outlets in your home to reduce the use of extension cords
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture. The maximum wattage is located on the lamp’s sticker
- Keep electrical cords away from children and pets
Heating is the second largest leading cause of United States home fires. December, January, and February are the peak months for heating fires. This is because we are trying to keep our Elgin homes warm during this time of year. Heating equipment includes wall furnaces, space heater, fireplace, and heat lamps. Most often, space heaters are the type of equipment involved in these types of fires. In fact, 86% of deaths from fires caused by heating are due to space heaters. Consider the following tips to avoid heating fires and how to stay safe this winter:
- Keep anything that burns at least 3 feet away from heating equipment
- Never use the oven to heat your home
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and professionally inspected every year
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters
SERVPRO of Elgin is your Elgin area fire restoration cleanup service. We are the certified technicians who can provide you peace of mind if a fire were to happen in your Elgin Home. You can always count on the fast response and the expertise of our SERVPRO of Elgin specialists to make you and your family feel “Like it never even happened.”
Learn more about Elgin
Fire Safety for Your Elgin Commercial Building
Did you know fires can be the costliest incident for a business? Approximately 10% of small businesses are affected by a fire with an average cost of $35,000 according to The Hartford. The National Fire Protection Association states there are five top reasons for fire in a commercial building: Cooking equipment, Heating equipment, Electrical & lighting equipment, Smoking materials, and Intentional. There are several ways for a fire to start in your Elgin business, but luckily, there are four core elements to help you and your company practice fire safety. Please consider the following to implement into your Elgin business for the safety of you and your employees:
- Fire Alarms are the first defense against the potential risks of fires and are perhaps the most important element for your commercial building’s fire safety system. Your Elgin business should always have routine inspections and maintain for all fire alarms to ensure they continue to properly work.
- Emergency lights and exit signs are designed to come on when the main power supplies are lost. These are very helpful because during a fire, conditions can be chaotic and confusing. Emergency lights and signs will make it more likely that individuals will be able to see well enough to get out of the building.
- Fire extinguishers are required by most fire codes. In general, they should be mounted on walls at distances of less than 75 feet. This means no one should have to travel more than 75 feet to get to a fire extinguisher. When using a fire extinguisher, remember “PASS”. It stands for Pull the pin, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep.
- Installing a fire sprinkler will help extinguish fires before the fire department arrives. This is made possible because fire sprinklers are always “on-call”. There is a network of piping filled with water under pressure which is installed behind walls and ceilings. If a fire were to break out, the air temperature rises and once it gets hot enough, that activates the sprinkler system. After installing them, routine inspections should be done to ensure they are working properly.
If a fire were to happen to your commercial building in Elgin, do not worry about tackling fire debris and cleanup on your own. SERVPRO of Elgin is “Here to Help”. For us, the goal is to return each home in Elgin to a clean, odor-free environment as quickly as possible. As the fire restoration experts, we are confident to get the job done every time. To schedule a service and begin the restoration process for your Elgin business, call our office today: (847) 697-8500.
Learn more about Elgin.
Our Tools Can Help Solve Your Elgin Home's Water Damage
Many disasters can take place inside your Elgin home or business when you least expect it. If a disaster were to happen, luckily SERVPRO of Elgin is always ready for whatever happens. When it comes to water damage, our trained technicians have an array of specialized equipment to bring your Elgin home back to preloss conditions. At SERVPRO of Elgin, we use the specialized equipment to help speed up the extraction and drying process. SERVPRO of Elgin is fully equipped with the following tools to restore any home and make it feel “Like it never even happened.”
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in your Elgin home’s carpets and paddings. This tool has sharp probes that penetrate through carpets and padding to determine if water has migrated on the subflooring. If there is moisture, the sensor will provide both blinking and beeping as a signal. The greater the amount of moisture, the faster the lights and beeping will become.
- Moisture Meters are utilized to measure the actual content or levels of various materials. This tool can be penetrative and non-penetrative depending on what needs to be measured. For example, penetrative meters will be used on carpet while non-penetrative meters will be used on drywall.
- Extractors are used to provide sufficient water removal in your Elgin home. There are several different types of extractors to use such as Truck-Mounted, Light Wands, or Stationary tools. Factors in each situation such as depth of water and available power will give the technicians a better idea of what to use.
- Air Movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level and reduce drying time.
- Dehumidifiers are used to remove water vapor from the air. This reduces the amount of water vapor in the air which lowers the humidity ratio. This is important because lower humidity increases the rate of evaporation of moisture.
SERVPRO of Elgin is a recognized Institution of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) firm for the past 16 years. Every technician for SERVPRO of Elgin is certified and knows how to utilize our unique tools to bring your home back to preloss conditions. We are a 24-hour service and are here to help you with any water damage needs you face in your Elgin home. If you need to schedule service, please contact our office: (847) 697-8500.
Lean more about Elgin
Spring Hit This Shopping Area Hard
Spring in Illinois is know for some crazy weather and last year was no different. A sudden micro burst happened and a local strip mall was effected. It did considerable damage to the roof for the entire structure. Quite a bit of rain came into the businesses. The agent for the building was also the agent for many of the businesses. He contacted the SERVPRO of DeKalb team right away. SERVPRO of DeKalb contacted a roofing company and together they put a plan into place to tackle the job. The team went right to work and spoke with the individual business owners to walk them thru the plan for their business. The team worked many long hours to make the customers happy. In what seemed like no time the businesses were back and ready for business. The building repairs were completed and all were very pleased with the end result.